Minerals & Petroleum - Native Title
The Department has prepared a comprehensive information leaflet entitled Administration of Mining Legislation in NSW in the Light of the Commonwealth's Native Title Act which includes:
- Departmental procedures in dealing with the effects of Native Title on the grant and renewal of exploration titles.
- The grant and renewal of low-impact exploration titles.
- Guidance for exploration title applicants.
- The "Right to Negotiate" process.
- Guidelines for determining when land may be Native Title land.
In most cases a mining lease or an assessment lease cannot be granted over native title land unless the “Right to Negotiate” provisions of the Commonwealth Native Title Act 1993 have been complied with.
If your application affects land that may be subject to native title you should discuss the matter with your Legal Advisors.
For more information contact the Titles Unit on: