NSW Coal Innovation and NSW Coal Innovation Fund
The NSW Government has outlined its commitment to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the NSW Greenhouse Plan and the State Plan, ‘NSW 2021’. This includes reducing emissions by 60 per cent of year 2000 levels by 2050. To help achieve this commitment the Coal Innovation Administration Act 2008 was passed and the Coal Innovation NSW and Coal Innovation NSW Fund of $100 million established. Its predecessor, the NSW Clean Coal Council was formed in late 2008.
Coal Innovation NSW
Coal Innovation NSW is an advisory council that brings together representatives of industry (coal and energy sectors), research institutes and the NSW Government to consider how best to support low emissions coal technologies research and development in NSW.
A significant function of Coal Innovation NSW is to provide advice and make recommendations concerning the funding of projects under the Coal Innovation NSW Fund that encourage the development of low emissions coal technologies. Since first established in 2008, Coal Innovation NSW has made a number of recommendations to the Government. These include, for example, recommendations on significant projects such as the NSW Carbon Capture and Storage Demonstration Project and the funding of a multi-million dollar research and development program.
Functions of Coal Innovation NSW
The Functions of Coal Innovation NSW are to:
- Provide advice and make recommendations to the Government concerning the funding of projects and policies that encourage the development of low emissions coal technologies;
- Advise on policies to encourage the development and implementation of low emissions coal technologies;
- Make recommendations concerning opportunities for involvement by private and public sector entities in interstate, national and international research projects involving low emissions coal technologies; and
- Provide advice on such other matters concerning low emissions coal technologies as the Government may refer to the Council.
Coal Innovation NSW Fund
The NSW Government has committed $100 million over four years to the Coal Innovation NSW Fund. Coal Innovation NSW gives advice to the Minister of Resources and Energy in administrating this fund.
Purposes of the Coal Innovation NSW Fund
The purposes of the Fund are to provide funding:
- For research into, and development of, low emissions coal technologies;
- To demonstrate low emissions coal technologies;
- To increase public awareness and acceptance of the importance of reducing greenhouse gas emissions through the use of low emissions coal technologies; and
- For the commercialisation of low emissions coal technologies.
The Fund is currently concentrating on three key work programs:
- Research Projects
- NSW Carbon Capture and Storage Demonstration Project
- NSW CO2 Storage Assessment Program