Mineral and petroleum resources in New South Wales are mostly owned by the State. This means that the royalties and economic benefits from the extraction of these resources contribute to the provision of services to the people of New South Wales.
The following links provide information to the community on exploration and mining in New South Wales.
- Coal Seam Gas
- Petroleum Production
- Public Comment Process
- Applications and Approvals – Coal and Petroleum Titles
- Community consultation guidelines
- Draft Code of Practice for Coal Seam Gas Explorers
- Code of Practice for Coal Seam Gas Well Integrity (3.1MB PDF)
- Code of Practice for Coal Seam Gas Fracture Stimulation Activities (187KB PDF)
Applications for coal and petroleum exploration licences are also subject to a public comment process. This provides communities with the opportunity to comment on applications for exploration licences. The aim is to improve the transparency, efficiency and effectiveness of the decision making process for granting exploration licences. It will also assist in gathering relevant local information and in the development of more robust processes to protect the environment.